Paris, France/ AFP
A Paris court postponed the trial of seven men linked to the far-right who are suspected of having planned to attack Morocco fans after their World Cup semi-final with France.
Police arrested the men along with dozens of others at a bar in the capital’s 17 arrondissement on Wednesday evening after the match, which France won 2-0.
While the others arrested were released without charge, a police source said they suspected the seven — all in their early- to mid-20s — had been heading to the Champs Elysees to confront Morocco fans there.
They include Marc de Caqueray-Valmenier, 24, suspected of having been the leader of the extreme-right Zouaves Paris group, which was banned in January.
The prosecution said they suspected him of having organised the gathering at the bar with a call for people to meet there “to defend the flag against the Moroccans”.
All the defendants were released on bail pending their next court hearing, set for January 13.
Around 115 people were arrested in Paris after Wednesday’s Morocco game, and clashes took place last Saturday after France’s quarter-final victory over England. Police fired tear gas to disperse the crowd.
The police were out in force Saturday, for the third-place run-off game between Morocco and Croatia, which Croatia won 2-1.
Around 14,000 police officers will be on duty across France on Sunday to guarantee security as France take on Argentina in the World Cup final.